Local authorities have some statutory functions under the 1989 and 2004 Children Acts that make this clear, and this guidance sets these out in detail. This includes specific duties about children in need and children suffering, or likely to suffer, significant harm, regardless of where they Are found, under sections 17 and 47 of the Children Act 1989. The Director of Children's Services and Lead Member for Children's Services in local authorities are the key points of professional and political accountability, with responsibility for the efficient delivery of These functions. While local authorities play a lead role, safeguarding children and protecting them from harm is everyone's responsibility. Everyone who comes into contact with children and families has a role to play.
1. Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is defined for the purposes of this guidance as: • protecting children from maltreatment; • preventing impairment of children's health or development; • ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care; and • taking action to enable every child to have the best outcomes.
Local agencies, including the police and health services, also have a duty under section 11 of the Children Act 2004 to ensure that they consider the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of children when carrying out their functions. According to article 10 of the same Act, a similar range of agencies is required to cooperate with local authorities to promote the well-being of children in each local authority area. This cooperation should exist and be active at all levels of the organisation, from strategic level through to operational delivery. Professionals working in agencies with these duties handle ensuring that they fulfil their role and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the status
- Hard copy comb bound with professional look.
- The A4 booklet is double sided printed with colour laser on 80gsm paper and plastic spiral bound together.
- The front is protected with plain plastic binding cover
- The back is covered with a strong leathergrain cover for extra durability and professional look.